You are a Teacher and would like to give access to Students in advance for course/s in an upcoming term or semester. This article provides steps for the same.
You know who is a District Administrator and in charge of the Student Information System (SIS) imports for your school. This is needed since a direct interaction by the Teacher with the District Administrator should be there to explain the early access requirement of the courses/s.
There are 2 ways to provide early access for courses:
- Updating Terms in SIS
- The District Administrator needs to update the Term Code in the file Sections.txt.
- This update should be such that the course becomes active for all the needed semesters. Eg: The Teacher may require that the course be active for the current semester and for the upcoming semester.
- For formatting the data as per the requirement, the District Administrator can also refer to our article Formatting Data Extracted from SIS for Sloopy.
- Creating Terms in SIS
- The District Administrator can set up a new Term in the SIS.
- The needed course can then be only assigned to this Term in the SIS. Thus, this term will have only this course.
- This can be useful when the requirement is that the course shouldn't fall in any of the standard terms that are usually defined at the beginning of the year.
Once all the data is updated in the SIS (in either case), with the next import of data from the SIS, the course/s will be available in the expected Term/Semester/s.