The navigation menu on the main page of your site automatically follows the structure of the site map, as defined in the Site Center. Essentially, webmasters can customize this menu by simply organizing the folders and pages in the site map.
This article shares the steps and information to help you manage this navigation menu on the main page of your site.
Start by following these steps to go to the Site Center:
- Log into your SL account with the webmaster rights.
- Navigate to the Toolbox > Site Center. If you do not see this option under the Toolbox, it is likely that you do not have the webmaster rights. Learn more about the rights issue that may prevent your access to the Site Center.
Ordering the Top-Level Pages and Folders
When in the Site Center, go to the Pages tab and order the pages and folders at the top as desired by dragging and dropping them. For example, to move the department, as seen below:
Move the department folder in the site map, as seen below:
Learn more about the steps to manage the site pages. Additionally please note that:
- You cannot move the Homepage or place folders above it.
- When you move your cursor over the left edge of the site map, you'll see two orange dots indicating the 'handle' where you can click and hold.
- You'll also see the cursor change to two crossed lines.
- This method only allows you to rearrange contents at the same level. In other words, you can't drag and drop a page into a different folder.
- As you drag your selected folder to the desired location, other folders move to open a spot where you can drop the folder.
Nesting the Pages and Folders
You may nest your folders using as many layers as you wish, though practically speaking, more than three layers of nesting are challenging to manage. Follow these steps to nest:
- Select the page or folder you wish to move, then click the Move button.
- A window with the folder structure of your site map appears.
- Select the destination folder by clicking on the pop up site map.
- To move your selected item to the very top level, choose "Home".
Renaming Pages and Folders
To rename items in the navigation menu, simply rename that corresponding folder, page or link in the site map by following these steps:
- Click the item in the site map.
- Click the gear icon above, which opens a pop-up window where you can edit the name.
In the case of minisites, there is one extra step:
- Click the Minisite in the sipe map.
- Click the Manage Minisite button.
- Click the gear icon by the name of the Minisite to reach the renaming option.
Arrange Contents Within Folders
Folders may contain pages and other folders. Click on a folder to expand its contents. Since all the contents within the folder are at the same level within the site map, you can drag and drop to rearrange them.
In the example below, the Departments folder contains six items: three pages and three folders (a red line was drawn to make the parent-child relationship clearer). You may drag and drop these items into any order you wish. Pages and folders may be interspersed.