For 508 compliance, the following guide will show you the accessibility features and recommendations for Image Module.
There are two features of the image module that address accessibility: alternative text and caption
- Keep the text short.
- Describe the content and function of the image.
- If the nearby text on the page describes the content and function of the image, leave the Alt Text field blank.
- If the image is purely decorative, leave the Alt Text field blank.
- Don't use "image of..." or "picture of..." in the alternative text.
- Learn more about the alternative text.
If checked, the caption appears either above or below the image (depending on the selected format).
- Captions are optional.
- Do not use the alternative text as the caption.
- Captions are not a replacement for alternative text.
Images with Text
- When you can, avoid using images with text.
- Logos are an exception. When your image does have text, use that text as the alternative text for the image. However, this can be difficult and impractical when the image contains a lot of content.
- Take the image below as an example. Squeezing all that information into the alternative isn't helpful for screen reader users. Instead, put this information on the page using our Text Module. If you want to add a little visual candy, use a different image without text.