Admins may encounter an error message stating that their username already exists when entering an email and trying to register a teacher account.
This often occurs for returning teachers and long-term subs who require a new account when they are back, and results in the system not allowing them to send the teacher the registration link for their new account.
Username for teacher accounts is automatically created from the email address added during registration (consists of all characters before @) and the error means that there is another user with the same login name.
- Search for the user account using the username.
For example, we are trying to register a teacher with email email@example.com. We will search for mrsmith.
- Check the role of the user and click View Account.
- Check if the user has the exact same email as the new user you are trying to register.
- To resolve this issue you have several options:
- Delete account - If it is old and unnecessary staff or admin account.
- Temporarily change username for the existing account, considering that this is a valid account and currently used account - enter additional character in the Login Name field and click Submit.
Note: Once the new teacher is registered, you should modify the teacher login name and revert back the original login name of the existing user.
- Request our Support team to change email and login for the old account - It should be done when the old account is a teacher account and you cannot remove it from the system or modify email address.
You should be able to register the teacher account successfully.