Admins may encounter an error message stating that username already exists when entering an email and trying to register a teacher account.
Username for teacher accounts is automatically created from the email address added during registration (consists of all characters before @) and the error means that there is another user with the same login name.
- Search for the user account using the username.
For example, we are trying to register a teacher with email firstname.lastname@example.org. We will search for mrsmith.
- Check the role of the user and click View Account.
- Check if the user has the exact same email as the new user you are trying to register.
- To resolve this issue you have several options:
- Delete account - If it is old and unnecessary staff or admin account.
- Temporarily change username for the existing account, considering that this is a valid account and currently used account - enter additional character in the Login Name field and click Submit.
Note: Once the new teacher is registered, you should modify the teacher login name and revert back the original login name of the existing user.
- Request our Support team to change email and login for the old account - It should be done when the old account is a teacher account and you cannot remove it from the system or modify email address.
You should be able to register the teacher account successfully.