At the beginning of a school year, after configuring terms, District Admins need to create marking or grading periods. At the end of each period, teachers will need to submit grades that will be imported into SIS and sent to parents (usually via mail).
- You have a District Admin account.
- You have set the terms for schools in your district.
- Log in to your District Admin account.
- From the Toolbox, click School Site List.
- Click Edit Marking Periods.
- Click New Marking Period.
- Enter the following details for a new marking period:
- Display name
- Unique code. Very Important: The unique code must be different between each quarter and each year, for example, if you use these unique codes for each quarter this year: Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4, you cannot use them again next year. You should instead use something specific to the year like Q1_22, in that way it becomes different each year. This is designed so that the data can be retrieved if necessary and it is in line with the general setting of School Loop to not delete data but to archive them whenever possible. If you don't give each quarter its own unique code, this will result in old records showing up during the grade submission window. Meaning, previous students will still appear in gradebooks and their grades will be exported with the current year grade export.
- Marking Period Ends Date - must be within the school terms for the district.
Note: To review configured terms, from the School Site List page (after step 2) click Edit Terms.
- Window open and close dates.
- Once done, click Submit.
- Repeat steps 4-6 to add more marking period if needed. Marking periods can overlap.
After you complete step 6, all existing (and newly created) marking periods are displayed: