Goal: Create two or more separate gradebooks. A cumulative grade is not required.
Example: I teach a year long class but I need a gradebook for each semester.
Create Your Gradebooks
In this scenario you will need to create 2 gradebooks - One for each semester. The image below illustrates how these gradebooks should be created.
1. From the Gradebooks menu on the navigation bar of your Portal homepage, choose Add/Edit Gradebook for one of your courses.
2. Click the Edit link next the name of the default year long gradebook.
3. Add "Semester 1" to the name of the gradebook and the term label.
4. Set the end date to be the last day of semester 1.
5. Click Submit.
6. Back on the Add/Edit page, click the Add New Gradebook button.
7. Add "Semester 2" to the name of the gradebook and the term label.
8. Set the Start and End dates to correspond to the first and last day of semester 2.
9. Click Submit.
1. We recommend that you run your gradebooks back-to-back without any days between gradebooks. For example, if the 2nd Semester starts on January 12, you should end the previous gradebook on January 11.
2, Be sure to give each gradebook an appropriate name and be careful that the start and end dates are accurate for each term.
3. If you have already published grades in a gradebook, remember to republish after editing the date range.
Q: How do I go back to view previous term gradebooks?
A: You can always get back to previous gradebooks by going to Add/Edit Gradebook from the Gradebooks menu.
Q: Are gradebook settings unique for each gradebook?
A: Yes, each gradebook has its own unique settings so it is important that you check the settings for each gradebook created. These include weighting, custom codes, grade scales, rounding, and default scores.
Q: What do parents and students see when I publish progress reports?
A: Parents and students will only see the grades you publish. When publishing from multiple gradebooks over the course of a term, students and parents will see a "Current Grades" progress report, which consists of the grades you publish from the current gradebook. If you had published grades from other gradebooks, those progress reports are available to students, parents and teachers via the All Progress Reports menu when viewing the current progress report.
Q: Can I choose which gradebook to use when submitting grades for grade export?
A: Yes. For those using School Loop's Grade Export (an optional feature in School Loop Plus), you should keep in mind that you will have the option to choose any of your gradebooks as the source of grades to submit. When submitting grades for second semester, for example, be sure to select your second semester gradebook as the source of grades. Some schools require multiple grades per student for certain marking periods (e.g. a second quarter grade and a semester grade). Multiple gradebooks makes such submissions a snap since our system allows you to choose different gradebooks as the source for the various grades you need to submit.